Wednesday, April 29, 2009

THR3E

So, its been a little while but heres what up. Yesterday I skipped the last day of classes with my friends Aaron and Kirstin. Sounds horrible right? Well it was amazing, we went to Carowinds rode roller coasters puked on people and Kirstin got in a fight and won! ok so thats all a lie......

In actuality we volunteered all day at an Event titled THR3E. It was hosted by Elevation Church and brought in 175 Church leaders and planters from over 20 different states. It was nothing short of Mind-bottling. (You know, like it has your mind in a bottle?) A lot went down in a 12 hour day and I took 10 pages of notes for just 2 of the 3 sessions. I'm a crappy note taker so I can only imagine how many pages good note takers took in there.

Anyways, in volunteering my role was simple. We had one rule really, which was Honor. Honor these leaders in any way shape form or fasion and do it with the Love of Christ. The day started out with a quick briefing by Elevation's very own Larry Brey. (He Loves loud (as in its very apparent that he Loves Everyone) :) I like him a lot.) After that a large group of us stood outside and looked on watching and waiting for these church leaders to show up wearing our THR3E shirts armed with notebooks, pens, and Krispy Kreme Donuts.

From there as we began leading people/groups in, we became their hosts for the day which meant we gave them a card with our name and phone number on it. If they needed anything, like oh say I dont know maybe a Big Mac? We would make it happen. (that did happen and I thought it was funny but we'll get to that part in a little bit) After we got them to Booth Playhouse in the Bank of America building we would assist them in getting checked in, and show them to the food or bathroom or anything they needed. Then run downstairs and start it all over again. I got to host 6 awesome Guys! (even got to tell one of them they had a little bit of shaving cream behind their ear, and yes I did this in the nicest most tactful way I knew how.)

After we got everyone checked in and seated we started session 1 which I sat out of and helped set up lunch stuff and move tables and such around. Had a blast just hanging out and serving with Elevation's Finest. I garuntee you will not find a better plethora of volunteers at any other church in the world. I was even reunited with some friends that I hadnt gotten to talk to in over a year because we go to different campuses and what made our paths cross in the first place was a student event Elevation used to do called "Pulse".

Lunch was fun the girls who delivered the food talked to us a little and one even said she would come try out our Providence campus. (a day of victory all around is what yesterday was. We really couldnt lose.) I enjoyed catching up with my guys seeing if they needed anything and seeing how the session had gone for them. Had a nice time running around checking on everyone and anyone and taking trash for them and just all around trying to see if there was anything that could or needed to be done for them.

After Lunch I sat in on Session 2 which made a solid 5 pages of notes and put a lot of insight into what I intend do with my life in the coming years. Who knows I may post later on what I've been able to flesh out and digest from these sessions in coming days. Later there was a break I caught back up with my guys checked in on them and did a little run through checkin on people and such. Then went in to sit in on session 3 was all settled and ready to go then I get a text. it read.....

"Scott wants a big mac...... is this possible?" so I text back... "Are you serious?" but before getting an answer I decided who cares lets make it happen if nothing else it will at least be funny and I can eat it. So I ran outside asked where the closest McDonalds was and proceeded to take Jamie's phone which I used as a GPS and credit card and run around the block searching for the McDonalds. well long story short after asking about 3 people and running around for about 10 minutes I got back and ran inside and made the delivery to which Scott was very delighted. Funny thing I learned after this is that Scott didnt even have a phone on him at THR3E he asked the guy next to him to text me.... thats hilarious. But I loved every minute of it and I wouldnt trade that day much less those 10 minutes for the world. (this story isnt to go "Oh look at how high and Holy Brett is [I'm not I promise but I love people so its pretty easy to serve them])

After delivering the Big Mac I got totally thrashed by Pastor's last session. It was all about "The Cost of the Call" and what it takes out of you being in the ministry. I'm not to the point where this is applicable yet but its good to know whats coming so I can prepare for it to better myself and eventually hit the challenges head on.

That in a BIG nut shell was my day at THR3E. I'll be unpacking all that went on for a while to come. I'm pretty sure it was probably one of the best days of my life. I doubt I will ever be a part of an event that will be executed as well, as powerful as as Honorable as yesterdays THR3E was.... that is unless Elevation puts on another event in 3 years....... Thanks Elevation for all that you do and like Pastor always says. "The Best is Yet to Come!"

No comments: