Saturday, June 6, 2009

Share Your Father

Many years ago a buddy of mines Father passed away. My friend and I were both still quite young and I had about 2 years on him and I couldnt be much older than 7 or 8. Well a week or so after the funeral as you could imagine my friend was pretty bummed being very young and now without a Father.

That is when I woke up one Saturday morning to my Dad saying, "Brett get up we're gonna go out in a bit so get dressed." I got up and ready and then we set out to pick up my friend. I had no idea this was coming but we then went to Fun'n'Wheels which if you dont know what it is. It is a place where you can race go karts and such.

Well we spent a good hour or so racing. I drove my own car and Dad drove with my friend riding with him. It was a really nice day and we all had a lot of fun. It really took my friends mind of the situation for a bit I think. After we rode go karts for a bit we stopped then we went back home.

We dropped my friend off at his house with his Mom who thanked my Dad and I for taking him out. After we got back in the car and drove a little Dad turned to me and said. "Thanks for Sharing your Dad today, it was a really good thing you did and I'm really proud of you. You helped your friend out a lot by doing this." Now, no going to Fun'n'Wheels wasnt my idea and no I didnt feel like I did anything special but I did share my Dad when I could have spent the day alone with him I shared him with somebody who desperately needed a strong male figure in their life at that point in time.

You might be wondering why I wrote out this story. well to be honest I was driving tonight and I remembered what my Dad said to me when we had gotten back into the car and driven a little bit.

"Thanks for Sharing your Dad today, it was a really good thing you did and I'm really proud of you. You helped your friend out a lot by doing this."

It kind of made me think about what I would want God to say to me, and how I would want him to be proud of me. I started thinking about how I could go about giving God reason to say that to me and it reminded me of the great commission (Matthew 28:16-20). If I want God to say "Thanks for sharing me with somebody today." Then I need to be telling people about him in the first place! If I want to achieve this then I need to be living out the Great Commission.

If you're like me and want God to be pleased with you and say. "Thanks for Sharing your Dad today, it was a really good thing you did and I'm really proud of you. You helped your friend out a lot by doing this." Then you need to start living out The Great Commission as well. Take this nugget for what its worth but personally I'd like to share my Father with my friends who need him in their lives.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This really made me think. Thanks for the well wishes and I'll definitely be following your blog from now on!

Zack