Thursday, February 5, 2009

Coffee starts off things Nicely.

So yesterday I met with John Bishop for the first time. Not gonna lie (and you can ask my Girlfriend Caroline) I was like a giddy little school girl all week leading up to this. And you can ask John, I wouldn't leave him alone till he set a date for us to meet. (which may have been pressumably earlier than he had originally anticipated.)

Anyways with all that being said..... We kicked off today discussing a little about Nehemiah. Now I dont know how familiar many of you are with Nehemiah but he was an ambitious and God fearing man I would dare say.

13 chapters in a nut shell, Nehemiah is cup bearer to the King. He recieves word of the current state of Jerusalem (the wall has been destroyed, and "the gates have been burnt with fire." The people have been scattered as well) and there are claims that he is the only hope to save it. After Nehemiah gains knowlege of this he pretty much breaks down and weeps for a couple of days. After this he decides that he will ask the king permission to leave, when he goes before The King the King sees how sad he is and asks whats up. (this is dangerous. The king can kill you. He doesnt need a reason and he doesnt have to be kind about it either.) But God softens the Kings heart, and the King asks how long Nehemiah will be gone. Nehemiah tells him and he lets him go giving him letters of safe passage to Jerusalem.

Nehemiah arrives at Jerusalem and well its just wasted to say the least. Nehemiah begins gathering the people who were once scattered and they begin rebuilding the wall. But there is opposition to this because many of the Nobles and leaders of the surrounding areas had grown accustomed to walking all over the Isrealites and Didnt like Nehemiah coming in and trying to fix everything. So they threatened him but Nehemiah didnt back down he upped his guard and pushed foward even harder. In all the process of rebuilding the wall took between 50 and 60 days. After that people begin to rebuild on their ancestors lands and they restored the temple, and when Nehemiah had gotten everything straightened out and in order he returned to the King as he promised he would. some time later the King allowed him to return to check up on things (this wasnt much later) and already the Isrealites were back to their old ways.(which is what got Jerusalem destroyed in the first place.) Nehemiah was furious and quickly put that to an end.

In all reading through Nehemiah has been a good experience. I've looked a lot at a man who God raised up to be an Incredible leader. A leader to such a magnitude that he organized and motivated the reconstruction of Jerusalem. A leader to such a magnitude that I hope to one day attain myself.

I really have enjoyed this book, I've also enjoyed my meeting with John and I am very thankful for his time, and effort in investing in me. I'm truly blessed that someone might see the potential in me that they would believe me worthy of their time. Thank God for those who teach the ones who wish to learn.

No comments: