Thursday, February 12, 2009

Wear Your Own Armor.

*This may be a little rough around the edges, I'll smooth it out later when I have more time and sleep.*

1 Samuel:38-40

"38: Then Saul dressed David in his own tunic. He put a coat of armor on him and a bronze helmet on his head. 39: David fastened on his sword over the tunic and tried walking around, because he was not used to them. 'I cannot go in these,' he said to Saul. 'Because I am not used to them.' So he took them off."

I was reading a book the other day for my Liberal Studies class on European History between 1400-1800. The book is titled "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli and in a short sentence it is summed up as, "How to dominate a principality and maintain it should you go conquesting....." It came to a section of the book where the writer referenced David, and Saul. He spoke of the instance above where Saul offered David his armor, yet it was to big and not suited for David so he didn't use it.

He went on to make a parallel to war and types of troops you should have to fight your battles. He claimed that Mercenaries, and Auxiliary troops are what you should use if you want to lose.... (Those being hired troops, with no bond to the country, land, or city state they have been brought in to defend.) These types of troops are only so effective because in times of peace, "yea sure I'll join your army for a nice pay check every week.", but first sign of war and they "peace out." And if you were to succeed in your conquest and obtain what you are driving for then how long will it be before somebody turns them against you, or they desert?

At this point I'm sure you're wondering.... what on earth does that have to do with David and Goliath? well its this, if an aspiring leader wants to accomplish something with war, Niccolo writes that he is best off using his own countrymen. Or weapons that he is used to, that wont betray him because of common interest. When David put on Saul's armor that was "foreign" to him it was big on him it was uncomfortable it hindered his ability to act on the task at hand. So David said "No, I'm gonna use what God gave me" which in this case was Grace, Blessings, a sling, some rocks, and the ability to slay things which quite frankly no kid should be slaying. (earlier on David tells Saul of how he had killed a Lion, and a Bear while watching his sheep.)

Let me finish bringing this full circle. When God made you he had some very distinct features that he made a little more dominant than others. These features, or abilities, or in the context I'm relating them to "weapons/armor/equiptment" are what you have to work with.

I have a good base knowledge of scripture, I grew up in the Church and I was discipled all through High school by my youth pastor Durl, and now I'm continuing that with my meetings with John Bishop. You however might not have a strong scriptural base, but you might be really good at encouraging or nurturing.

When God puts a "Goliath" in your life say a friend is mourning a loss. YOUR gift of nurturing would be very effective because that person needs to know somebody cares and is there for them, my scripture base could potentially help but honestly if you came to me after Dad died and said "4th John such and such says that God did this for a reason...." I probably would have hit you in the mouth. (Not saying anyone would or did that)

Ultimately what I'm trying to get at is this. Wear Your Own Armor, David didn't wear Saul's armor because He wasnt used to it. And quite frankly had he worn it he would have been mauled and wouldn't have lived to be King. Use the gifts God hand crafted specifically for you to benefit his Kingdom. Because if you try to use "foreign" weapons/armor/equipment theres potential you are setting yourself up for failure.

Sorry for this being so lengthy but Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a very enriching lesson, Brett. I like this tidbit of spiritual thought. It is an especially effective lesson when you become aware of your God-given strengths. May Jesus bless you Brett, and take you deeper and closer to himself.

~Jesse