Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Does the Desire to Impress cause you to Digress?

So, as I recently stated I have begun meeting with John Bishop the Ministries Pastor at Elevation Church in Charlotte NC. Tonight I was sitting in my Girlfriends living room reading over the first 3 chapters of Nehemiah again, and doing my "Homework" of finding decisions that Nehemiah made.
At one point I turned to Caroline as she was working on a paper of her own and said "I'm fairly proud of myself." After something had dawned on me that I don't believe many people would think of just generally reading over Nehemiah. I then proceeded to say...... "I hope John likes my answers." to which Caroline responded "I'm sure he will and I'm proud of you as well. (to which I smirked and to be honest was kind of full of myself for. but she didn't stop there...) Just don't do this for the wrong reason."(Pride sucks and definitely is the fall of every man..... but having a Woman of God in my life that "Gets It" is Amazing.)
This is where I kind of brushed off that statement. I mean there's no way that I'm doing this for the wrong reason. But the past hour or two I've been thinking and maybe the desire for this man of God to accept me might get in the way of what God has to teach me if I don't bring the desire to Impress under control.
So addressing the post title, Yes the Desire to Impress can cause you to Digress, if you allow it to. But it has been addressed, it has been set straight, and I appreciate the people that pour into my life.I'm very thankful for people like Caroline that speak truth to me, and I'm still very excited about my meetings with John and I'm ready to dive hardcore into what God has in store for me in these meetings.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I couldn't agree with that statement more, and the fact that it only occurs when you let it. People get so caught up in the day to day pace of life, and care more about what other people think about what they do with their time. I think that people just need to slow down and think about the things that are really important in life; like God, country and family. Hooyah.

Judy Shomaker said...

I've struggled with this all my life and have to work at it continuously. Glad you are thinking about it earlier in life than I did. I might have avoided a lot of pain had I not been so eager to impress always. Love you, Mom